RESULTS STATEMENT: I am accountable for producing the following results:
One Southern Indiana (1si) expects this position to be primarily responsible for conducting and supervising the activities associated with the economic development operations of the organization, including developing and implementing the organization’s economic development strategy and metrics of success, business creation, attraction, and retention and expansion.
This Vice President, Director position will supervise the Sr. Director of Business Development and the Director of Business Retention & Expansion and Talent. In collaboration with the HR Coordinator, develop staff professional development activities and performance-based training plans and ensure staff, space and materials are adequate for meeting performance expectations. Additionally, this position may oversee and manage all aspects of the organization in cooperation with the President/CEO.
As Vice President, this position may serve as the lead authority for the organization when authorized by the President/CEO. This position serves as a member of the Executive Team, and thereby shares responsibility for organizational leadership.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Vice President Functions:
- Serve as the lead authority for the organization when authorized by the President/CEO.
- Represent 1si in all aspects of the organization, including policy discussion, legislative testimony, and media interviews, as assigned.
- Serve as a member of the Executive Team, and thereby share responsibility for organizational leadership.
Director of Economic Development Functions:
- Develop/upgrade relations with all economic development partners (regional, state, national, etc.).
- Coordinate with President/CEO and staff on workforce development and education efforts to support existing industry and business attraction needs.
- Supervise Sr. Director of Business Development; Director of Business Retention & Expansion and Talent; and any additional economic development staff or interns.
- Responsible for lead generation, tracking, coordination, and management. Include updates in FileMaker or other software.
- Work to support the efforts of the Director of Engagement with existing or potential investor communications.
- Coordinate all press announcements and releases concerning economic development projects and/or closures.
- Keep President/CEO abreast of all economic development activities and/or issues and engage in policy-related conversations as necessary.
- Participate in strategy and goal setting for economic development metrics.
- Report economic development activities to appropriate board and/or committee members (Board of Directors, Executive Board, Economic Development Council, Investor Relations, etc.).
- In collaboration with the Controller, responsible for developing an annual economic development budget, managing the ED budget, and updating monthly budgetary forecasts.
- Manage the Economic Development Council, including but not limited to: agenda preparation, meeting facilitation, topics and/or speakers, etc.
Business Attraction Services:
- Lead all business attraction projects and marketing for new business development for Clark and Floyd Counties, as well as other contracted geographies.
- Provide “first contact” with all prospects/projects in a timely manner.
- Work with economic development and marketing staff to ensure accurate and effective marketing and outreach materials (print and electronic).
- Arrange and host prospect/project visits – ensuring all project needs are met and contacts made.
- Oversee inventory of sites and buildings database.
Business Retention & Expansion Services:
- Oversee and guide all components of existing Business Retention and Expansion program.
- Oversee management of the Metro Manufacturing Alliance and its activities.
- Participate in business crisis and opportunity responses.
- Provide all follow-up activities and ensure expectations are met.
Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree preferred; or High School Diploma (or GED/High School Equivalence Certificate) with minimum five (5) years of commensurate experience in economic development or senior-level client/customer service/Sales/Supervisory roles.
- Customer/Provider Relations – Understand the essentials of customer satisfaction and apply it in the process of servicing the customer. Communicate customer feedback to management for action. Understand and follow internal processes to respond to customer needs. Suggest improvements or issues with processes. Answer all inquiries on a timely basis.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate stakeholders and partners toward shared objectives.
- Related experience in developing, implementing, and enforcing personnel policies, procedures; Manage, coach and evaluate employees and conduct performance reviews.
- Strong interpersonal, writing and presentation skills including the ability to communicate with all levels of management and audiences with diverse backgrounds and educational levels. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to take independent actions and calculated risks. Respond promptly to customer needs, seek opportunities to improve processes and implement creative solutions.
- Develop innovative approaches and ideas; Present ideas and information in a manner that persuades positive interaction.
- Strong analytic and research skills including the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Provide full attention to what other people are saying, respectfully communicate by taking time to understand the points being made and ask questions at appropriate times to obtain clarification.
- Excel in prioritizing daily functions and dealing with multiple deadlines and high volumes of work. Plan work activities for employees and/or sales campaigns and develop realistic action plans.
- Display original thinking and creativity; Meet challenges with resourcefulness; Generate suggestions for improving work; Develop innovative approaches and ideas.
- Ability to interpret information in company provided programs to identify Key Performance Indicators and utilize to enhance employee performance and productivity.
- A self-starter, assertive demeanor and lifelong learner.
- Understand basic business financial statements and reports.
- Understanding of state and local government operations and programs.
- MS Office Proficient; Use keyboard, laptop, projection equipment, and other office equipment with proficiency.
- Ability to travel for the role as required.
NONESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
These are desirable, but not necessary, aspects of the job.
- CEcD Designation
- Chamber of Commerce experience and knowledge of operations
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Ability to maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include: sitting, standing, or walking for extended periods of time; operating office equipment; arrange meeting room tables and chairs; and lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Visual Acuity; ability to see and hear within normal parameters, must use hands and fingers to use keyboard and mouse; operate equipment or controls; reach above shoulder heights, below the waist; or lift to file documents or store materials throughout the work day. Proper lifting techniques required.
- Ability to self-transport from office to client meetings and 1si programs and events.
- Dress for this position is business casual or business attire (unless the day’s tasks require otherwise) always having closed toe footwear available for any scheduled or impromptu on-site meetings. A clean, professional, well-groomed appearance is expected.
- Must reside within the 1si Service Area.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS
- Senior Director of Business Development
- Director of Business Retention & Expansion and Talent
- All 1si team members as needed and directed by President/CEO and complimentary to the Controller/HR Coordinator, Director of Programs & Events, and Director of Engagement.