Are you passionate about the benefits of living and working on Michigan’s sunset coast? We are looking for a talented economic and business development professional to join our team. This position is responsible for the recruitment and retention of companies in Berrien County as well as the management of our economic and business development activities.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for managing the economic development team, establishing metrics that grow the Southwest Michigan economy and providing a challenging and engaging culture where team members can thrive.
If you possess an exceptional level of professional and political savvy, are a thought leader and problem solver who works well with business, government leaders, and community partners. We want to talk with you.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Develop, lead, and manage a team of economic and business professionals.
- Lead business growth via implementation of the Business Success Retention/Expansion Program through routine visits and detailed follow up with manufacturers and large employers.
- Grow the area economic base by working to attract and recruit organizations to Berrien County and leading the conversations and site visits of those employers.
- Provide guidance and strategy as a member of the Cornerstone Alliance Leadership team.
- Work collaboratively with Berrien County Community Development through projects including Brownfield Redevelopment.
- Represent Cornerstone Alliance among economic development partnerships including the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC), Southwest Michigan First and others.
- Advocate for positions that support the organization’s goals.
- Serve on boards and committees relative to Cornerstone Alliance strategic initiatives.
- Prepare and present written and verbal project reports and public presentations.
- Establish, develop and maintain effective working relationships with departmental staff, municipal employees, local business owners and the general public.
- Look for grant funded projects that are supportive of the organization’s objectives. Lead the application process and, for successful grants, manage, monitor, and report on the projects.
- Provide leadership to the Women Business Collaborative.
- Certified Economic Development Certificate preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years of economic development leadership in an economic development organization or jurisdiction, including a strong track record of negotiated project “wins”.
- Completion of OU/EDI or IEDC Economic Development courses preferred.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Planning, or related field is preferred.
- Ability to think strategically and to constructively receive feedback.
- Must possess the ability to build relationships with C-Level business executives.
- A strong knowledge of economic development programs, policies and strategies including a legal acumen, and an understanding of relevant legislation and tax abatement is preferred.
- A history of successful grant administration is preferred.
- Experience working with real estate experts and developers in the commercial and industrial setting.
- Strong, presentation, verbal and written communication skills in the use of the English language.
- Ability to gather, collate and analyze a variety of data.
- Thorough understanding of program research, development and implementation techniques.
- Strong organizational skills are required, as well as the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent customer service skills a must.
This position takes place in a fast paced, highly detailed work environment. It works primarily in an office environment. Out-of-town, overnight travel may be required as will the need to be available to attend meetings outside of normal office hours.
Interested applicants should apply to: Rob Cleveland, President & CEO, email@example.com
Applicants should include a resume and cover letter, along with detail of economic development projects led. The deadline to apply is Monday, November 29, 2021.