This position is responsible for identifying companies that may consider making capital investments and creating jobs in the US Midwest – with the ultimate goal of locating those projects within the nine-county Indianapolis region in Indiana (i.e. Marion County, Boone County, Madison County, Johnson County, Hamilton County, Morgan County, Shelby County, Hendricks Country and Hancock Country). Areas of primary focus include marketing the nine-county Indianapolis region to prospective companies and their advisors; recruitment of businesses; formation, management, and execution of business development strategies and workplans; and extensive relationship building. The position is responsible for working with private sector leaders and their representatives. The individual must maintain close relationships with the Indy Partnership staff and local economic development and other partners throughout the region in order to maintain a deep understanding of what types of companies each community is trying to attract.
The position description is available here. Please submit your resume and cover letter to Sarah Iglehart at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Indy Chamber is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Title: Business Development Manager Exempt
Reports to: Vice President, Regional Economic Development
Organization: The Indy Chamber’s mission is to drive economic growth in Central Indiana by bringing job and investment opportunities to the region, advocating for a pro-growth business climate, and connecting businesses to resources and each other.
- Recommends plans and actions to build, maintain, and grow a pipeline of companies interested in investing in the Indianapolis region, and – upon supervisor’s approval – executes said plans and actions;
- Builds strong relationships with site consultants, real estate professionals, tax/credit consultants, corporate decision makers, and other professionals that impact location/investment decisions;
- Works with the Indy Partnership team to develop deep understanding of our customers so that the team delivers excellent work product to customers;
- Attends events, workshops, and tradeshows to market the Indy Region to decision makers;
- Conducts outreach activities, including but not limited to emails, cold calls, etc., to generate new leads;
- Utilizes business intelligence, in coordination with the Indy Partnership team, to identify target companies for recruitment;
- Assists with project management (after procuring leads), as needed; and,
- Serves as an outward-facing spokesperson for economic development efforts in the nine-county Indianapolis region.
Evaluation of Performance:
Performance will be evaluated based on meeting the requirements of the job description; meeting specific goals and performance metrics for the position; working according to all policies and standards set by the Chamber; and consistently demonstrating established Chamber values.
Performance metrics for this position will be established annually, based on:
- Successful development and execution of business development strategy;
- Lead generation (specifically outreach contact and lead identification, qualification determinations, follow up contact, and closeable handoffs); and,
- External relationships
Critical skills, knowledge, and behaviors to be successful in this role include:
- Experience creating and executing sales plan and experience managing a sales pipeline. (Experience with economic development/commercial development sales strongly preferred);
- Ability to identify, qualify, and follow-up on business development leads;
- Knowledge of Indy Region/State of Indiana competitive advantages for economic development and state/local incentive programs;
- An understanding of the issues confronting the nine county Indianapolis business community;
- Ability to understand and retain information regarding complex topics, and to summarize that information for others;
- High degree of business acumen required. Requires ability to interact with individuals at different organizational levels and from different functional disciplines;
- The ability to collaborate with a diverse group of stakeholders, gaining their trust, confidence, and respect;
- Expert listening and communicating skills;
- The ability to design and deliver effective presentations;
- The ability to act independently and to lead in a complex and dynamic environment; and,
- A positive attitude, a focus on customers (both internal and external), and the ability to work well with others in a team environment.
Experience, education, degrees, licenses
Required: B.A./B.S. in Business, Economics, Real Estate Development, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, the Social Sciences, or other area of focus relevant to the critical skills, knowledge, and behaviors of the role 3+ years supervisory experience in related fields such as economic development, commercial real estate business development, or a closely related field. Candidate must have a valid driver’s license, a personal vehicle, and valid insurance.
(Preferred: Masters in relevant area, MBA, and/or CEcD, with 5+ years of experience, including at least 3 years of supervisory experience, in direct sales or business development related roles; creating and utilizing target lists; working within a metrics-driven organization; following cold or warm leads; qualifying leads for others; delegating leads for follow-up; traveling for business development; representing an organization at events or meetings.)
Work is performed in an office environment. Attendance will be required at Indy Chamber events. Work is often conducted before, during, and after traditional business hours (i.e. 8-5). Significant travel is required.
Note: Candidate must live in, or be willing to relocate within six months to, one of the nine counties of the Indianapolis region in Indiana (i.e. Boone, Hamilton, Hendricks, Hancock, Johnson, Madison, Marion, Morgan, or Shelby).