Job Title: Vice President of Economic and Workforce Development
Department: Economic and Workforce Development
Reports to: CEO/President
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared Date: January 7, 2020
A nonprofit economic development and chamber of commerce organization serving Tippecanoe County, Indiana, Greater Lafayette Commerce is membership-based and supported by local industries, businesses, governments and individuals. Its mission, carried out by various councils, is to advance economic and community prosperity and a superior quality of life.
As the leading local organization for community initiatives, growth and economic development, Greater Lafayette Commerce is a hub of high-profile activities in multiple areas. The staff works under the direction of the president and chief executive officer and with numerous community volunteers. Team members work collaboratively for the good of all, often assisting in areas beyond traditional job responsibilities, with many opportunities for personal and professional growth. The work environment is dynamic, forward-thinking, fast-paced and goal oriented.
Develops a professional relationship with members, prospective and existing companies, site selectors, state, local and regional partners to facilitate a thriving economic development environment. With the goal of increasing the Greater Lafayette population by 25,000 by 2026, this position will serve as the lead position for Greater Lafayette Commerce to achieve the metric of that goal; attracting 5,000 economic based jobs through expansion of existing firms and attraction of new firms to Greater Lafayette.
To appropriately meet the needs of the position, the Economic Development Director/Specialist is expected to:
- Determine the best approach and accomplish tasks independently, take charge when needed, act persuasively and persevere to execute projects to completion.
- Handle multiple concurrent projects.
- Communicate in a factual, direct, persuasive and to-the-point style.
- Be comfortable meeting new people, socially approachable and outgoing.
- Be comfortable working in a dynamic environment
- Work harmoniously and cooperatively with co-workers, members, volunteers and others in the community, state, nationally and globally.
- Be organized, detail oriented, and deadline focused.
- Exhibit professional composure under pressure and a high level of energy and positivity.
- Maintain client confidentiality.
- Maintain the highest sensitivity to professional ethics, cultural diversities, and treat all people equally and respectfully.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least three years’ experience in a position that focuses on relationship building.
- Some Domestic and international travel may be required.
- Adept at technology, software, social media tools and embrace new technologies as made available.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all information provided for projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish and maintain a positive relationship with regional and state economic development organizations, government entities, real estate developers, consultants and community stakeholders to help promote Tippecanoe County.
- Oversees the tracking of projects, action items and strategies for active projects.
- Serve as the direct liaison to the municipalities and county with existing and prospective companies.
- Lead the local incentive process for all attraction and expansion projects.
- Develop in partnership with the marketing department a marketing strategy for business recruitment, business expansion and economic growth in the county.
- Lead the local Business, Retention and Expansion (BRE) program in Tippecanoe County and track interactions.
- Develop and manage the Economic Development Council.
- Participate in the Workforce 2030 and serve as staff person to task forces.
- Oversee the management of the tax abatement compliance process.
- Oversee the prospective business leads received from the Indiana Economic Development Corporation’s Active Needs system and other sources.
- Oversee the management of the comprehensive inventory of available sites and buildings.
- Serve as a liaison between businesses and private industry to promote business opportunities in the county.
- Establish all primary functional and performance goals and specific objectives for the department.
- Oversee the management of the K-12 workforce initiatives.
- Partner with City of Lafayette Economic Development department, West Lafayette Development department, Tippecanoe County Commissioners and Purdue Research Foundation on various economic development projects.
- Serve as the Tippecanoe County LEDO for the regional WHIN Broadband project.
- Serve as the Tippecanoe County LEDO for the 9-county regional partnership, Indiana’s Technology Corridor.
- Oversee the management of the Sister City programs.
- Be an advocate for the mission and vision of Greater Lafayette Commerce.
- Collaborate with other Greater Lafayette Commerce teams.
- Provide support with other events within the organization.
- Follow brand consistency as directed by the Marketing Director.
- Any other duties assigned.
Economic Development Director
Workforce Development Director
Talent Attraction Specialist
To apply be send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org