RESULTS STATEMENT: I am accountable for producing the following results:
One Southern Indiana (1si) expects this position to lead the outreach to and contact with existing businesses and industries to guide and assist with new business growth and existing business challenges. Additionally, the position provides support for 1si Metro Manufacturing Alliance (MMA) members, other member sectors and clients to guide and assist them in their business needs as well as their retention and expansion (growth) needs. This position serves as a facilitator of relationships and motivator of members. Building results-focused and trust-oriented relationships with educators, manufacturers, resource providers, and service providers will be paramount to success for this position. This position is responsible for coordinating talent development activities for MMA members and other member sectors by performing and overseeing duties pertinent to this position.
This position is responsible for growing MMA membership and engagement. Through various means including, but not limited to, working closely with 1si’s membership relationship manager, this position is expected to develop and implement assertive MMA membership growth and engagement plans with measurable results.
This position is also the primary 1si staff liaison to the MMA Advisory Council. This includes working with the MMA Advisory Council chair to coordinate regular monthly MMA Advisory Council meetings and all relative materials—including working with chair to create meeting agendas. The position will also provide meeting notifications and room setup as well as any and all follow-up/follow-through.
In addition, as a member of the economic development team, this Director position assists in establishing the economic development strategy and metrics of success, implementing actions toward that strategy, and measuring results toward strategic goals. This multifaceted position requires a mix of team-oriented activities as well as independent judgment and discretion. The need to focus on details and follow-through cannot be overstated for this position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Metro Manufacturing Alliance (MMA) Membership Group Management:
- Establish a clear, transparent process to effectively, efficiently manage and influence a diverse group of business owners and executive and management level leaders;
- Drive increased membership and engagement of group members;
- Assist the group’s (MMA) advisory council with setting a vision and establishing an annual calendar of events and meetings;
- Collaborate with peer group leaders (roundtable facilitators) to empower them to set direction and grow engagement with their respective peer group participants.
- Work in collaboration with 1si’s events manager to execute major events for group members.
- Arrange/setup for all peer group roundtable meetings, including, but not limited to, putting out directional signs, meeting room set-up (making coffee, setting out drinks, etc.) and breakdown.
Economic Development Business Retention and Expansion:
- Conduct regular, on-site visits with existing businesses.
- Fulfill member requests as they are presented; this role requires a high level of listening skills, perception and patience.
- Assist in addressing existing businesses issues, removing business impediments and reacting to needs as expressed.
- Work with members or potential members on all facets of expansion projects from the initial call through project announcement. This includes, but is not limited to:
- routinely working with state and local partners and elected officials to secure incentives and address other needs and requirements for the company’s project;
- assisting with a site selection or building selection when needed;
- coordinating announcement of projects based upon the needs and requirements of the businesses;
- managing relationships between 1si and the business—serving as the “face” of 1si to member and potential member businesses; and
- following-up to ensure business’ needs are met.
- Build and maintain knowledge and relationships with resource partners.
- Connect members and potential members to resource partners who can help address identified needs.
- Assist Director of Marketing & Communications with all aspects of press announcements and releases.
- Attend and present projects at public meetings (city council meetings, town board meetings, etc.) as necessary to ensure approvals are obtained.
Talent Development and Partnerships
- Function as the 1si lead for talent and workforce activities as a “concierge” service to assist member businesses.
- Engage resource and service providers to identify opportunities to meet the needs of employers and business attraction prospects.
- In conjunction with 1si staff project/task leads, communicate data, best practices and results of engagements to 1si stakeholders and/or partners both internally and externally as needed.
- Identify financial needs to build and sustain programming and, in conjunction with Chief Revenue Director, solicit funding for program implementation.
- Work with other industry sectors to outline sustainability and strategy for talent development initiatives in those industry sectors beyond manufacturing.
Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree preferred; or High School Diploma (or GED/High School Equivalence Certificate) with minimum five (5) years of commensurate experience in economic development or senior-level client/customer services roles.
- Prior experience in economic development theories and functions preferred.
- A self-starter, assertive demeanor and lifelong learner.
- Ability to manage, motivate and influence diverse groups of people.
- Comfortable in a variety of work environments, including public speaking and presenting. Ability to hold the attention of large groups of people.
- Understand basic business financial statements and reports.
- Experience in asking the “right” questions to understand and manage complex projects and add value for a successful outcome.
- General understanding of state and local government operations and programs.
- Comfortable working with undefined strategies and ability to develop strategies toward desired results.
- Develop innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that persuades positive interaction.
- This role requires exceptional listening skills, perception, problem solving and patience.
- Prioritize daily functions with multiple deadlines and high volumes of work.
- MS Office Proficient; Use keyboard, laptop, projection equipment, and other office equipment with proficiency.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Ability to maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include: sitting, standing, or walking for extended periods of time; operating office equipment; arrange meeting room tables and chairs; and lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Visual Acuity; ability to see and hear within normal parameters, must use hands and fingers to use keyboard and mouse; operate equipment or controls; reach above shoulder heights, below the waist; or lift to file documents or store materials throughout the work day. Proper lifting techniques required.
- Ability to self-transport from office to client meetings.
- Dress for this position is business casual or business attire (unless the day’s tasks require otherwise) always having closed toe footwear available for any scheduled or impromptu on-site meetings. A clean, professional, well-groomed appearance is expected.
Interested candidates contact:
Susan Alexander | One Southern Indiana|www.1si.org
Controller / HR Coordinator
4100 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150-9538
Direct Dial: (812) 206-9016