Priority deadline: Wednesday, August 14, 2019
The Bloomington Economic Development Corporation (BEDC) seeks a full-time team member to advance economic development across Monroe County, Indiana. The director will:
- Conduct business retention and expansion (BRE) efforts for firms across the county by: building relationships with these companies; identifying common challenges; and developing strategic initiatives to address those needs, as appropriate within the BEDC’s scope of work;
- Focus efforts on traded sectors;
- Manage and develop initiatives to advance the tech and life sciences communities across Monroe County, which support BRE and business attraction efforts;
- Conduct research and outreach to attract companies to Monroe County; and
- Collaborate with BEDC team members to respond to incoming project requests and catalogue and market existing spaces for business across Monroe County.
- Some travel may be required for this position to visit prospects, trade shows, or collaborators.
- Other responsibilities as required.
- This team member will report to the BEDC president and collaborate with all BEDC team members.
Our ideal applicant will have strong:
- Professionalism with high personal integrity, required for operating in a confidential environment;
- Ability to strategize, set goals and plans to meet those targets, and successfully meet those goals;
- Networking skills and ability to forge solid relationships, to help us grow key BEDC contacts and understand the needs of our constituents;
- Written and verbal communication skills, to communicate with BEDC partners and convey the value of our community to prospective businesses that may locate here;
- Research skills, to identify companies that would be a great fit for our community;
- Client focus, with good attention to detail and follow through, needed for attracting new companies and helping existing local companies grow; and
- Aptitude for learning and figuring things out in unfamiliar situations.
Ideal applicants should also be:
- Highly motivated and self-starting, with ability to work well with a team;
- Flexible and able to navigate ambiguity, as our organization is evolving to meet the needs of our community; and
- Familiar with our community, with a willingness to learn more.
- Experience or study in the field of economic development
- Familiarity or experience with any of the following: economic development; business attraction; business development; the life sciences, advanced manufacturing and tech sectors; and foreign direct investment attraction.
We seek candidates with a broad range of experience. If you bring a different type of experience to the table, please explain in your cover letter how that experience will translate and enable you to be a strong team member in this role.
About the Bloomington Economic Development Corporation (BEDC):
Since 1985, BEDC has been dedicated to enhancing the vitality of our community. As the lead economic development organization for Bloomington/Monroe County, we are focused on increasing opportunities for citizens whether it’s through supporting existing businesses, addressing workforce issues, or fostering entrepreneurial activity. The BEDC is a membership based non-profit organization.
Learn more about the BEDC here:
Send your resume and cover letter to BEDCsearch@bloomingtonedc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.