Promotes the retention and expansion of existing businesses and the development of new business through financing programs, land/building availability assistance, tax incentives and technical assistance through local partnerships. Administers and develops economic development policies and programs for the City of Elkhart; performs other work as may be requested by the Director and/or the Mayor.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and cultivate relationships with other Economic Development organizations, regional businesses, governments and media on a local, regional and statewide basis to broaden the economic development opportunities.
- Researches and understands all applicable economic development incentive programs that attract business investment and encourage business expansion.
- Work with state and local economic development organizations to attract new businesses.
- Develop proposals for the appropriate use of public incentives based on individual projects.
- Prepares financial analyses on all economic incentive proposals, assesses the economic feasibility of projects, and makes recommendations to the Director on public sector funding participation
- Prepares and solicits Requests for Proposals (RFPs) from private and/or public entities for economic development projects
- Advises and works with the City Common Council and top management to develop strategies and initiate projects for economic development.
- Researches target parcels and associated opportunities for grant funding for special urban redevelopment projects that include, but are not limited to, brownfields redevelopment, open space acquisition and redevelopment, and special “overlay” districts.
- Identify critical skills needed in the local workforce to support business growth.
- Work with workforce development organizations to create programs and strategies to develop critical skills within the local workforce.
- Create redevelopment strategies for selected brownfield sites.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares and maintains a database containing the various local, State and Federal economic development incentives.
- Coordinates and implements the objectives of the Urban Enterprise
- Identify funding and regulatory incentives available to redevelop brownfield sites.
- Coordinate activities with local, state and federal environmental agencies.
- Maintain an inventory of brownfield sites and identify opportunities for new development.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 4-year college degree in Economics, Urban Planning, Political Science, Public Administration or Business Administration.
- Master’s Degree strongly desired.
- Minimum of 4 years comparable experience with a Master’s Degree counting as an equivalent of 2 years’ experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of public sector financing including: tax incremental financing, tax abatement and industrial development bonds.
- Strong writing skills as required for preparing grants, project reports and general correspondence.
- Financial management skills including spreadsheet preparation and knowledge of general accounting procedures.
- Knowledge of real estate development including creating and evaluating project pro formas, property acquisition, zoning, site planning and subdivision process.
- Knowledge of state and federal brownfield programs.
POST OFFER TESTING REQUIREMENTS
- The City of Elkhart is a Drug Free Workplace. Therefore, successfully passing a post offer drug screen is required (random drug testing may be conducted after employment).
- Background checks producing acceptable BMV and criminal history reports required.
- The incumbent is required to possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities, and the physical, mental, and visual skills described in this job description to perform the principal duties, responsibilities and essential job functions.
- This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent. Principal duties and responsibilities are intended to describe those functions that are essential to the performance of this job and other duties and responsibilities include those that are considered incidental or secondary to the overall purpose of this job.
- This job description does not state or imply that the above are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Employee holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by the Mayor. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability.
Send resumes to the HR department at email@example.com