Job Summary: The President of the BEDC is responsible for the BEDC’s consistent achievement of its mission and daily operations. The President leads the organization as to new initiatives and strategies in economic development. The President reports to the BEDC Board of Directors and specifically to the Chair of the Board and the BEDC Executive Committee.
In program development and administration, the BEDC President will:
- Develop mutually respectful and beneficial relationships with existing businesses in Bloomington and Monroe County so as to lessen challenges to growth and to create a business climate that encourages employment creation and expansion of primary sector employers.
- Engage in efforts to recruit primary sector employers to Monroe County through creative marketing efforts and by building close working relationships with key business attraction allies, including the Indiana Economic Development Corporation, site selector organizations, utilities, local government and higher education.
- Engage with and be a resource for local business to retain presence and maintain workforces within Monroe County.
- Partner with government, industry, higher education, and the private sector to support a highly integrated network of technology and an innovative and robust entrepreneurship ecosystem.
- Develop work plans responsive to current conditions and manage strategic efforts to meet the long-term and short-term goals of the BEDC, including management of the Bloomington Life Science Partnership (BLSP) and the Bloomington Technology Partnership (BTP).
- Oversee the development and management of innovative talent attraction, recruitment, and retention initiatives.
- Represent the BEDC with the general public, private and public sector leaders, and at various business and social functions, events, and programs.
- Work with area real estate professionals, property owners, developers and planning organizations to enhance product development efforts through shovel ready and other programs and practices to promote available land and buildings that are suitable and ready for primary sector employers.
- Forge partnerships with other business development organizations to establish and market a competitive distinction for Bloomington and Monroe County, and to support regional economic development efforts.
- Support the development of local innovation and entrepreneurship infrastructure and seek to build greater innovation critical mass, including supporting efforts to develop the Certified Technology Park and Indiana University’s technology park.
- Seek collaborative economic development opportunities with Indiana University and Ivy Tech Community College-Bloomington.
- Build and maintain the public and private sector financial support required for the BEDC to fulfill its mission.
- Make organizational financial forecasts, and develop and manage an annual operational budget.
- Maintain a workplace that has high morale among the staff, has clearly defined and delineated responsibilities, is accountable for achieving results against plans, and promotes teamwork.
- Other responsibilities as directed by the BEDC Board of Directors.
- Significant Economic Development experience and a comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of economic development, particularly as they relate to LEDO management, communications and business development.
- Ability to develop and manage a team.
- Inspires respect and trust, and motivates others to perform.
- Ability to think strategically while identifying and implementing programs and procedures that are consistent with the approved strategies.
- Experience with public speaking and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Integrity – ability to earn the trust of others quickly, avoid favoritism, be objective and forthright with analysis and recommendations, and follow through on commitments made.
- Demeanor – outgoing, energetic and friendly personality that can mix readily and well with a variety of constituencies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in public affairs, economic development, management or related field. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Must be willing to reside in Monroe, Co. Indiana.
About the BEDC: The BEDC is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the retention, development and attraction of quality jobs in Monroe County. The BEDC is led by a partnership of private industry leaders, the City of Bloomington, Monroe County, Indiana University and Ivy Tech Community College–Bloomington.
BEDC Mission Statement: The BEDC is the catalyst for retention, development and attraction of quality jobs in Monroe County. The BEDC fulfills its mission through the following strategic initiatives:
- Providing leadership on issues that affect business growth, challenges to job creation and the long-term competitiveness of our economy.
- Facilitating retention and expansion of primary employers and key industries.
- Driving development and attraction of targeted businesses to our greater community.
Compensation: A competitive compensation and benefit package commensurate with experience.
Contact: All inquiries are will remain in strict confidence of the Search Committee. Please submit a resume and cover letter by December 31, 2018
Via email at: BEDCsearch@bloomingtonedc.com
Via US Mail at: BEDC Search Committee, 1720 N. Kinser Pike, Bloomington, IN 47404
For more information about the BEDC please visit:
The BEDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer