Skillful is looking for an effective and dynamic leader to help Indiana job seekers and employers thrive in a dramatically changing economy and make the labor market work for the 63% of Hoosiers who do not have a 4-year college degree.
- Do you share our passion for connecting employers who are looking for qualified workers with job seekers so that both prosper?
- Do you believe that people should be considered qualified for jobs based on the skills they have and that hiring practices can be changed to open opportunities to a larger and more diverse talent pool?
- Do you share our view that Indiana’s workforce system—including employers, higher education, and government—can and should be a testing ground and role model for the nation?
- Do you thrive in nimble, creative, fast-paced start-up environments?
- Do you bring a demonstrated ability to lead teams, develop partnerships, raise money, launch initiatives, and create meaningful impact for communities?
Then you should contact the Skillful Initiative, which seeks a founding Executive Director of Skillful Indiana.
Skillful, a non-profit initiative of the Markle Foundation, Microsoft, LinkedIn, state governments, and other partners, is working to achieve a skills-based labor market to help millions of Americans overcome barriers to obtaining better jobs in today’s digital economy. Skillful helps employers achieve the workforce they need by providing data, tools, and resources that enable the adoption of skills-based hiring and training practices. Skillful’s work with career coaches and digital services enables job seekers to learn what skills are in demand and access training at any stage of their career. At the same time, Skillful aligns employers and educators so that their training programs teach the skills required to succeed in today’s economy.
Now, after seeing the impact that can be made at the state level, through our work in Colorado, Skillful is expanding on-the-ground operations to Indiana. Skillful will bring national expertise, an on-the-ground team, and partners— including Microsoft and LinkedIn—to collaborate with the State of Indiana and local stakeholders to address current and emerging workforce challenges.
Workforce development is a top priority shared by Indiana state leaders, employers, higher education institutions, and other stakeholders, making Indiana a strong and ready partner for Skillful. In the next decade, Indiana will need 1 million skilled workers to fill open jobs and support economic growth. Skillful Indiana will implement skills-based practices across the workforce ecosystem to meet this economic need and place more Hoosiers on better career pathways.
For more context, see http://skillful.com/
The Skillful Indiana Executive Director will serve as a leader in workforce development across the state, collaborating closely with the Governor of Indiana, business leadership, educational institutions, and non-profits. We are looking for a founding Executive Director to build and lead the Skillful Indiana team and establish the Skillful model in Indiana on a sound, sustainable, and effective operational footing.
The Executive Director of Skillful Indiana will shape and implement Skillful’s operations and build partnerships to ensure long-term effectiveness and sustainability. As the leader of Skillful Indiana, the Executive Director will inform and establish, with the Skillful CEO, Skillful Indiana’s strategic and operating priorities, lead day-to-day management of operations, and have primary responsibility for building an energized, inclusive, high-performing team.
The Executive Director will also serve as a member of the national Skillful Leadership Team, working alongside colleagues in Colorado, New York and elsewhere to draw upon their expertise for the success of Skillful Indiana, and share back learnings and expertise to strengthen Skillful overall. The Executive Director will also collaborate with Markle’s national Rework America Task Force to provide their ‘on the ground’ insights from Indiana to shape Task Force efforts and to take advantage of their national initiatives in Indiana as appropriate.
The full strategic and operating plan for Skillful Indiana is still being refined and will be shaped by the incoming Executive Director. However, the following program components have been created in partnership with leaders across state government and other critical stakeholders.
- Employer, Higher Education, Career Coaching and Data Impact Initiatives: Leveraging approaches and resources developed in Colorado and nationally, Skillful Indiana will focus on driving impact through:
- Employers: training Indiana businesses to embed skills-based methods within recruitment, hiring, and career advancement practices.
- Higher Education: collaborating with higher ed leaders, faculty, and research institutes to map the skills required of current/future occupations and integrate systems that promote upskilling and lifelong learning.
- Career Coaches: Launching the Indiana Governor’s Coaching Corps and a virtual coaching community of practice to support frontline workforce development professionals.
- Data & Technology: Accelerating the use of innovative digital tools and platforms that strengthen the workforce ecosystem and enable the implementation of skills-based practices.
- Partnering in the Workforce Regions to Drive Change: Skillful will partner with Indiana Workforce Boards in the twelve workforce regions to implement impact initiatives. Starting in a few regions then scaling statewide, Skillful Indiana will assist the Workforce Boards with local challenges and opportunities and gather insight from innovative local approaches to share with state leaders. Skillful Indiana will leverage existing regional networks and stakeholders, such as industry associations, higher ed, and non-profits, to drive impact.
Design and drive strategy and operating initiatives: Manage and oversee the overall operations of Skillful on the ground in Indiana. This includes the maintenance, continuous improvement, and expansion of Skillful methods and tools to meet the needs of Hoosiers. In addition, the Executive Director will have the lead role in formulating and executing Skillful’s operating plan initiatives and budgets to achieve our impact objectives.
Build strong partnerships with Indiana ecosystem players and serve as key external voice and representative for Skillful in the region, acting as ambassador, thought partner, and advocate with all critical stakeholders. Uphold Skillful’s partnership-driven, B2B model for driving transformation to a skills based labor market. Manage and continue to develop key partnerships of Skillful including:
- State government leaders.
- Large employers and key employer groups.
- Education and training providers.
- Local and regional Workforce system leaders.
- Non-profits working to drive workforce initiatives
- Active philanthropies in this space.
Identify sustainable funding sources and business model for Skillful Indiana that enables Skillful to scale its impact over time, including liaising with prospective funders for Indiana programs including foundations, corporations and others with support from the Markle team; and exploring other models to sustain Skillful IN activities.
Define and drive delivery against key impact metrics with an emphasis on transparency, learning, and continuous improvement of operations. Provide day-to-day guidance and leadership to team members to ensure strong execution of key initiatives and clear linkages of their work to making a difference in Indiana.
Actively share learnings from Indiana, participate in Skillful’s overall scaling strategy and bring to IN the learnings from Skillful’s national activities. Collaborate with Markle’s Rework America Task Force to create a two-way flow of insights that strengthens both initiatives.
Build and lead a high-performing, diverse team that operates with dedication, positive culture, and creates growth opportunities for team members. Support team members to build their skills and create an environment that fosters individuals’ professional development so that individual and collective impact is enhanced.
Critical Skills and Competencies Considered
- Effective Operational Leadership: Demonstrated ability to drive outcomes against aggressive performance goals in different environments including stints in the private sector (given how important the understanding of and changing employer behavior is to the role).
- Fundraising or Business Development: Experience in fundraising or similar activity that provides evidence of the ability to convert enthusiasm into resources and commitments
- Operations Management: Experienced manager who can provide effective day-to-day leadership of the team/partner initiatives and thoughtful management against performance goals and budget to deliver results
- Relationship and Partnership Management: Strong relationship building skills at all levels of an organization. Well-connected and strong reputation within Indiana or proof from another context that you can build this very quickly through your own network.
- Team Leadership: Strong leader who gets those around them excited about achieving big goals. Demonstrated ability to thrive and lead in a small, analytically rigorous organization that values direct, honest, and respectful transfer of ideas.
- Transformational change agent: Proven track record of impact in leading or supporting complex programs, business expansion and/or public transformational initiative.
- Workforce Knowledge: Strong knowledge of the workforce ecosystem, including who the key public and private stakeholders are, and understanding of current trends in workforce development.
- Technology and Data Literacy: Basic understanding of the intersection between technology, data, and workforce development. Ability to collaborate with and learn from stakeholders working in data and tech to implement skills-based practices.
Title: Executive Director, Skillful Indiana
Location: Indiana (specific location TBD)
Reports to: Beth Cobert, CEO, Skillful
Degree or Credential Requirements: None! We value candidates who can demonstrate capability and articulate how prior experiences have given them the skills to perform the role.
How to apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to Laurie Woodhouse at email@example.com
Markle is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations and marital status.