RESULTS STATEMENT: I am accountable for producing the following results:
One Southern Indiana (1si) expects this position to lead the outreach to and contact with existing businesses and industries to guide and assist new business growth and existing business challenges. Additionally, the position provides support and sales for members and clients to guide and assist them in their business needs and growth.
As a member of the economic development team, this Director position assists in establishing the economic development strategy and metrics of success, implementing actions toward that strategy, and measuring results toward strategic goals. This high-level position requires a mix of team-oriented activities as well as independent judgment and discretion.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Metro Manufacturing Alliance (MMA) Member Group Management:
- Establish a clear, transparent process to effectively, efficiently manage and influence a diverse group of business owners and high-level leaders;
- Drive increased membership and participation of group members;
- Assist the group’s advisory council with setting a vision and establishing an annual calendar of events and meetings;
- Collaborate with peer group leaders to empower them to set direction and grow and engage their membership; and
- Work in collaboration with 1si’s events manager to execute major events for group members.
Economic Development Business Retention and Expansion:
- Conduct on-site visits with existing businesses;
- Fulfill member requests as they are presented;
- Assist in addressing existing businesses issues, removing business impediments and reacting to needs as expressed;
- Work with members or potential members on all facets of expansion projects from the initial call through project announcement. This includes, but is not limited to:
- working with state and local partners to secure incentives for the project;
- assisting with site selection and building selection when needed;
- coordinating announcement of projects based upon the needs and desires of the businesses;
- managing relationship between 1si and the business; and
- following-up to ensure business’ needs are met.
- Build and maintain knowledge and relationships with resource partners;
- Connect members and potential members to resource partners who can help address the needs identified;
- Assist Director of Communications with all aspects of press announcements and releases; and
- Attend and present projects at public meetings of local government partners as necessary to ensure approvals are obtained.
Other Economic Development Team responsibilities:
- Assist in preparation of internal and external reports to Executive Vice President;
- Provide sales assistance to meet manufacturing member goals;
- Provide after-the-sale support for members, including membership upgrades and membership retention needs;
- Write articles, press releases, speak on panels, and other 1si promotional activities as needed; and
- Fulfill other duties that may be assigned.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree preferred; or High School Diploma (or GED/High School Equivalence Certificate) with minimum five (5) years of commensurate experience in economic development or senior-level client services roles.
- Familiar with or prior experience in economic development theories and functions;
- A self-starter, assertive demeanor and lifelong learner.
- Ability to manage, motivate and influence diverse groups of people.
- Comfortable in a variety of work environments, including public speaking and presenting. Ability to hold the attention of large groups of people.
- Understand basic business financial statements and reports.
- Experience in asking the “right” questions to understand and manage complex projects and add value for a successful outcome.
- General understanding of state and local government operations and programs.
- Comfortable working with undefined strategies and ability to develop strategies toward desired results.
- Develop innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that persuades positive interaction.
- Prioritize daily functions with multiple deadlines and high volumes of work.
- MS Office Proficient; Use keyboard, laptop, projection equipment, and other office equipment with proficiency.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Ability to maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include: sitting, standing, or walking for extended periods of time; operating office equipment; and lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Visual Acuity; ability to see and hear within normal parameters, must use hands and fingers to use keyboard and mouse; operate equipment or controls; reach above shoulder heights, below the waist; or lift to file documents or store materials throughout the work day. Proper lifting techniques required.
- Ability to self-transport from office to client meetings.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS
- Assists the Executive Vice President and other 1si team members with the supervision of summer intern(s)
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.