NATURE OF WORK
The Executive Director serves as the President of the Jasper County Economic Development Organization (JCEDO) and reports to the Executive Board of Directors of the Organization. The Executive Director is responsible for having a strong commitment to the development and implementation of economic development plans, programs and services for large commercial and industrial businesses in Jasper County Indiana. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring present business activity, supporting a business retention plan, focusing on attracting new businesses to the County and surrounding area, and collaborating with regional and State partners to successfully foster Economic Development.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Executive Director will be responsible for the following specific duties and any other appropriate duties that will enhance and promote the economic development efforts of the JCEDO:
1. Financial Analysis
- Analyze and evaluate effectively the financial implications of opportunities and proposals
- Along with BODs, keep organization’s treasurer and/or accountant aware of potential financial challenges throughout the year.
2. Planning and Marketing
- Develop both short and long term plans and programs to enhance economic development activity in Jasper County
- Develop partnerships with the cities and towns in Jasper County to develop a plan to retain existing industries and encourage their growth by providing a continuing program of assistance which may include technical advice, financing assistance, grant consultation and any other type of assistance as needed
- Coordinate a marketing plan and associated materials which will assist in promoting the area
3. Prospect Development
- Develop a comprehensive information data base of pertinent information for business prospects, which will include costs of doing business, utilities, demographics, zoning, transportation, taxes, community services, comparisons, labor market trends, wage comparisons, education and training providers and financing tools
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive inventory of all available buildings and sites in the area; Keep current on IEDC’s Zoom Prospector system
- Coordinate a “One Stop” source for existing business and new prospects by bringing together all of the local, regional and State entities and their respective resources.
4. Fund Development
- Actively participate, and provide leadership, in the creation and implementation of fund development efforts of the corporation
- Maintain communications with local government entities to ensure continued financial support to the JCEDO
- Develop and maintain a data base of potential funding sources
- Stay informed about current and pending state or federal funding opportunities that would benefit the efforts of JCEDO
- Respond quickly to prospect inquiries and maintain continued contact with prospects, through correspondence, telephone, e-mail and personal contact as appropriate until the prospect makes a final decision
- Serve as the spokesman for the organization to inform the public about its activities
- Provide regular updates of the Corporation’s activities to the JCEDO General and Executive Board
- Build relationships with local and regional media to relay pertinent information and successes of the organization
- Communicate openly with board chair and vice-chair as to updates, progress and needs of the county
- Maintain JCEDO website to be a useful tool for existing and prospective businesses
6. Networking, Team and Relationship Building
- Work closely and partner with Jasper County cities, towns and chambers of commerce to create a healthy business climate
- Create partnerships and actively participate with regional and State economic development organizations as well as with utility providers and Indiana Department of Commerce
7. Negotiating and Brokerage
- Demonstrate effectiveness in achieving consensus or agreement in transactions while maintaining positive business and interpersonal relationships with others.
8. Administrative Management
- Responsible for the daily operations of the JCEDO, including staff supervision, training and performance reviews with reports to Executive Board.
- Prepare an annual work plan, suggest updates to the strategic plan and develop budget for recommendation to the Executive Board of Directors
- Responsible for maintaining a positive working and meeting environment for employees and Board
- Relay employee concerns to Executive Board so issues can be resolved quickly and efficiently
- Maintain appropriate financial accountability
9. Oversee Jasper County Tourism
- Function as the direct supervisor for the Jasper County Tourism Director
- Oversee/ Maintain Tourism budget
- Assist in developing strategies, communications, and marketing
- Attend and participate in meetings, seminars, conventions and local events
- Monitor local, State and Federal legislation and regulations relating to economic development and maintain knowledge of proposed or new legislation affecting economic development
- Responsible for keeping current on state and local tax incentives/programs, zoning ordinances, abatement issues
- Pursue continuing training and education on economic development related activities
- Represent JCEDO as needed in key local, area and regional organizations.
KNOWLEDGE AND CHARACTER TRAITS
The Executive Director will have the experience, general knowledge and responsible character traits as the prime representative of the Jasper County Economic Development Organization. As such, the Executive Director must exhibit a professional demeanor and appearance in the execution of the duties and responsibilities. The Executive Director is expected to have the following skills: leadership, oral and communication, financial, customer service, consensus building, negotiating, innovative, planning, marketing and operations. In addition, the Executive Director must possess the following character traits: honesty, reliability, impartiality, persistence, patience, respect, and decisiveness. The Economic Development Director must have a positive attitude, be a team player, be able to effectively build State and regional partnerships, and have a strong commitment to Economic Development in Jasper County.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Minimum requirements include advanced education in business administration, public administration, community organizing or a related field. Minimum two years economic development, redevelopment, community organizing, business planning or similar experience, three to five preferred. Extensive knowledge of economic development practices, urban planning, real estate, geography, business administration required.
This position may require:
- driving to locations within a 5 hour radius of the JCEDO.
- occasional overnight or extended travel.
To be considered for this position, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.