Highland, IN (pop. 23,546) The Town of Highland is seeking energetic, professional and accomplished candidates for their next Redevelopment Director. Ideal candidates will have well rounded experience in the public and/or private sectors with a focus in economic development, redevelopment and/or planning. The Redevelopment Director will have responsibilities that include leading the Town’s economic and redevelopment efforts, assist with planning efforts for corridor improvements and repurposing existing structures as well as working in conjunction with other departments to enhance the quality of life in Highland. Highland is a family oriented community perfectly situated to afford its residents the advantages of small town living with easy access to nearby urban areas that offer additional educational, recreational, and cultural opportunities. Located 21 miles from Chicago in northwest Indiana’s Lake County, Highland is minutes from the shores of Lake Michigan and the scenic Indiana Dunes. Highland residents also enjoy 250 acres of park land in their community. A progressive community with a stable tax base, Highland residents consider their community a close-knit, safe, welcoming place to live and raise their families.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and experiences:
- A commitment to finding creative and innovative ways to bring businesses of all types into the community which will provide employment opportunities and additional tax revenue to the town; build a retention and expansion program with existing businesses and have strong working relationships with them.
- Possess the analytical skills to evaluate incentive programs requested by the business community and present those findings to the Redevelopment Committee and Town Council; be a strong proponent for the Town in negotiating with developers and builders for economic incentives.
- Have experience or strong exposure to modern land use trends and challenges including issues such as retail and mixed-use district vitality, as well as economic incentives for attracting and retaining businesses.
- Have the maturity, self-confidence, and strength of professional convictions to provide solid economic development advice to the Redevelopment Committee and Town Council, being able to diplomatically present professional views and carry out administrative decisions in a timely, professional, and impartial manner.
- A bachelor’s degree in economic development, urban planning, architecture, public and/or business administration, or a related field with a preference for a Master’s degree in a related field. Five to seven years of experience in a similar sized community; additional experience may be substituted for formal education. A master’s degree is highly preferred.
The salary range is $62,500 - $66,200 +/- DOQ. Apply online with resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references by June 16, 2017 to the attention of Sarah McKee, Vice-President, GovHRUSA, 630 Dundee Road #130, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: (847) 380-3240. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Click here to apply!