Supervision Received: JCDC Executive Director
Supervision Exercised: None
Purpose: To grow human capital potential of Jay County Citizens by:
- Assisting Jay County organizations and governmental bodies to improve their capabilities for planning, problem solving and resource procurement.
- Assisting those organizations in developing resources, skills, and knowledge to successfully work with local, county, state or national agencies in reaching the organization’s goals.
- Promoting cooperation and coordination among the organizations and governmental bodies by acting as an initial convener or conduit.
Major Duties/Responsibilities: The position requires the implementation of all goals and objectives of the Jay County Strategic Development Plan related to Community Development. Specific activities include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with communities to develop planning skills and community plans.
- Assist organizations to build long-range plans by providing technical assistance and self-help strategies through modeling/training.
- Enlarge the leadership base of our communities by teaching leadership skills such as problem-solving techniques, team building skills, and consensus decision-making skills.
- Utilize processes, programs, and techniques to increase volunteerism.
- Promote the value of community development and recognize specific organizations for their achievements through the media and other public venues.
- Research and apply for grants essential for community development projects.
- Provide support for implementation and oversight of grants.
- Provide support for fundraising initiatives associated with community development projects.
- Promote and develop ties among Jay County communities and organizations.
- Recommend to the JCDC Executive Director an annual budget necessary to carry out the strategic plans and objectives inherent to the position and administer said budget after it has been approved by the JCDC Board.
- Serve as media spokesperson of Jay County Community Development.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in urban/regional planning, community development, political or relevant social science or public administration is preferred. Inherent is a thorough understanding and application of problem-solving processes, group processes and team building skills, plus a variety of consensus and commitment building skills.
Experience: Position requires a minimum of three years experience in planning, community development or economic development, particularly at the local or county level. Also expected is that position holder has or acquires a working knowledge of the local, county, and relevant state and national government frameworks, plus those of quasi-governmental entities, such as Chambers of Commerce or Main Street organizations.
Position holder should possess sufficient computer and technology skills, and knowledge of software packages to maintain appropriate databases relevant to community development, and when necessary, the ability to transmit information and data when offsite.
The Developer will be expected to continue to upgrade skills by attending training sessions and seminars when practical and reasonably within reach.
Licenses or Certification: Professional certification in planning, community, or economic development and /or CDBG Grants Administration is preferred.
Residency: It is preferred the Community Developer is or becomes a resident of Jay County.
Send resume to the following:
Jay County Development Corporation
118 S. Meridian Street, Ste B
Portland, IN 47371